Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Public displays: Swayamwar!!??!!


I read TOI everyday... partly out of habit and cause a little obstinate avtar of me is unwilling to let go of news in Mumbai! So being far away from Mumbai (sniff sniff..), it was TOI who informed me about Rakhi gearing up for her Swayamwar! First reaction...shock mingled with disbelief. Not because I am that prude (I am to a large extent, but the so called ‘western civilization’ has toned me down and diluted that aspect of my thinking and beliefs)....but really?? I do realize that the ‘reality show’ buzz has - as though caught fire and the frenzy has begun.. but isn’t this concept a little too brazen for the majority of the population?

So... as usual I Googled to know, if it was just a publicity stunt that would most likely end in hers truly making a scene and mockery out of herself! But turns out she intends to marry the ‘lucky guy’ at the end of this very controversial contest! I even went a step ahead to gauge people’s reaction to the launch of this show. A handful are interested and think that it’s a great idea. But the majority of the clout expressed open condescension and mild disgust at the idea conceived! To begin with, Rakhi had publicly claimed that this trend was initiated by Sita who was lucky (or rather unlucky??) to wed Sri Ram! So with my usual course of curiosity running at an all time high, I watched several episodes of this public selection on youtube.

Full marks to the guys responsible for setting up the stage and developing this concept. Unlike the countless other reality shows, this one is set up at a gorgeous venue in line with the ‘mood’ & ‘view’ of the show. The large halls, sprawling lawns and the grandeur of the palace helps offset the frivolity of the show. The host speaks good hindi which too helps to tone down the shallow quotient of the contestants and their prize who is dressed in designer Indian clothes with oodles of decency! Her overall act is what’s more surprising than her attire. Ms. Sawant is all docile with an occasion slip of her formal self that makes her sound more jarring than usual. She moves around with surprising poise and holds her fort with decency which was missing in her other shows and countless media clips. This new character she is playing is bizarre and makes the audience wonder if she was coached to behave this way or if her ‘act’ was actually genuine making this just another facet of her personality! She is pretty surprising throughout the 2 episodes that I watched. At times, she had me giggling at the naivety of her questions and assumptions though soon enough my notions vacillated as she had me cringing at her crude humor and crass conduct!

As mentioned in numerous other blogs and other forms of news, this indeed is a twisted form of entertainment which almost makes you ‘not want’ to look away inspite of the occasional gruesome sights! Beneath it all, I see (or may be I just wanted to see so) a girl who wants to be loved and feel special and hopes to find that guy to sweep her off her feet with just the right amount of charisma, love and valor. I say valor because he sure needs to be brave to enter this contest. After all if you are rejected on national television, chances of his tying the knot with someone else just plummets! So if not anything this outrageous concept is sure to raise TRP on the basis of its novelty and ‘paisa vasool’ tamasha! However at the sametime, I cannot help but hope that she finds her prince & has her happily ever after ending!

4 comments:

ajji said...

this rakhi woman is one woman i have been watching for last 3 years ---this is a vertical rise ---but my liking for her is on the decline the same way -- just disgusting -- thinking herself a god --- crude public xxxxxxxxxxxxx--- there were cellloid dolls years back -- but they were innocent --- thismuch for rakhi

the programme is nicely dealt with by you

Aparna said...

Ohhh this swayamvar is currently the highest rated TV show now in India. Theres no accounting for taste.Rakhi is looking coy and virginal and the men are pathetic.
I wont be surprised if it is a stunt to get some publicity and some advertising money.

ZB said...

i havent seen this swayamwar thing, but sounds interesting. I am sure its just a gimmick if not a fad, and for Ms. Sawant any publicity is good publicity.

I would have tried myself but being married to a lovely lady, i have no interest and time. Good luck to the winner, hope god give him enough shakti to jhelanafy such dumb excuses for a woman.

R. Ramesh said...

sorry i dont have tv cable connection..happily hooked on to DVDs..news thru Net..but your post made it all interesting..good blog this congrats P