Thursday, July 9, 2009

Huff & Puff!

So..I joined a gym! Mostly out of boredom, and because a little part of me wanted to shed the 20 odd pounds my body has accumulated over the past 2 years! However, my primary objective was being able to hit the swimming pool everyday! I LOVE swimming...... serious swimming and fooling around both! Anyhoo... so I pack my gym gear and ride to the gym with the jubilant smile stuck on my face as it hangs out of the open window....can almost identify with a dog who hangs his head out of the car window in sheer excitement! (woof woof!)
So after my unbearable minutes of cardio, I hit the weight section of the gym. For starters, I find this section rather intimidating. In my defense, I see girls half my size exercising with 50+Lbs of metal rings. And here I am, cautiously pausing at each and every machine, trying to read the instructions carefully in order to avoid any further embarrassment! And just as my gut had cautioned me, I have to lower the weight scale at every machine as I proceed through the work out session! Perhaps had there been out of shape people heaving beside me as well, my discomfiture would have reduced considerably! However, as fate would have it, predictably there are beefy men and women lugging weights of tantamount proportions (ranging from 75 to 150 Lbs) around me, quiet oblivious to my awkwardness! Show-offs... I mutter reassuring myself that I am more brainy than brawny and so naturally this is ok! I know... I know... but hey there is only soo much strain my exhausted muscles(and grey matter) can handle!!
I finally get through my weight workout and stagger to the pool wincing at my sore, rudimentary, nonexistent muscles! AAAAh! Now comes the best part of the routine... so after 15 laps, I wearily pull myself out of the lap pool and drag my feet to the hot tub. After 60 mins of cardio or the weights (I alternate).... that jet propelled hot water transports me to HEAVEN. I lose interest in EVER leaving the tub when the wall clock that is strategically placed right above the tub (I suspect there are many others feeling like me and they want everyone to get a chance in the hot tub) rudely reminds me of dinner time! Sigh! I drag my seriously exhausted self out... to somehow make it back home! Until the next evening!

No comments: