Saturday, July 11, 2009

Wasted: Kambakt Hindi Movies



These days watching hindi movies can be counted as one among the many means of torture. Apart from a handful of movies that are dished out by the hindi film fraternity, majority of them have a pathetic screenplay that has no semblance to reality. They seem only to focus on the ‘oomph factor’ and the glamor is added extravagantly in an attempt to divert the focus off the poor script and an impossible story line. The movie Kambakt Ishq falls in this genre of movies that major in ‘frivolities’ and ‘larger than life characters’.

To begin with there is no originality. The character played by Kareena is taken from ‘Isabel Stevens’ played by Katherine Heigl in the hit drama series ‘Grey’s Anatomy’. Even the set is the same. Sadly, the similarities end there. The prude doctor played by Kareena has no ‘God-complex’ which is ingrained in most surgeons. What’s worse, is that the same character who doubles as a model to amass her tuition money seems to have more pride in her ability to act & model; rather than the expected superiority complex budding from her ability to skillfully wield a scalpel. The plot is ruined further as Kareena and all her colleagues walk around the hospital set with immaculate hairdos and perfect makeup. Furthermore, the director has shot the operation scenes unskillfully. In one close up you can actually notice Kareena wipe her forehead with her gloved wrist while she stands over an open body cavity! I suppose the director should have cut a make-up artist or two from what I can only assume was an army of makeup crew. And instead should have hired an actual surgeon to mimic the scene who would have definitely caught such obvious mistakes. On second thoughts, I wonder if a doctor was present and if he missed it anyway!!May be it was necessary to act so, so that we all know when exactly Kareena dropped the damn watch.But seriously... how dumb do you have to be, to not know that doctors strip themselves of all hand jewelery that includes rings, bracelets and watches before they scrub in! Grrr.... its high time the film makers realize that they have an educated, audience on their hand (our literacy rate is way up) who is well aware and has tons of common sense. I have news for you... just being size zero and pouting and swearing 'dog' or overusing the word 'bitch' does not make you a great actor. Research your roles and play them more convincingly.

Moving on... the entire story line unfolded rather rapidly and it moved from one part to another before the viewer had digested it all. That haphazard handing is also responsible for such a poor outcome. Also, the comic part is overdone and the jokes seemed worn out. The popular belief that making somebody laugh is the most difficult emotion to evoke in show business is true indeed and this movie seems to reiterate the point as it moves from scene to scene failing to induce comedy. Also, too many kissing scenes in the movie that are not shot tastefully. They were intended for publicity but fail to portray the delicate situation and instead border on vulgarity. Tone it down guys.... copy that from from your Hollywood peers (again selected ones please)! Let us relish the moment of shared love rather than gawk at their awkward stances.

Akshay Kumar has finally shown a shimmer of acting in a couple on scenes, though I had to look hard to find those scenes. The rest of the ‘supporting actors’ are like extra ingredients that fail to add any spice to the movie which just looks okay and lacks flavor. The action scenes are simply superb and as usual Akshay has the audience gripping their seats. But even that is not enough to save an entire film. Again too many songs...fast forwarded through them all to survive the entire showing. Even the last scene that plays in the background as the credits roll on in bold letters; is taken from the movie ‘Hitch’ where everyone dances in a line after the fat guy and popular girl’s wedding!

All in all... you can skip this one folks. It seems like entertainment set up to brag about their budget showcased via an entire closet full of designer clothes, heaps of makeup and barrels of hair spray!

14 comments:

Aparna said...

I do not like Kareena, and I like Akshay even less. After this review, I am not even going close to the theatre where it is playing. What happened to our talent pool?

P said...

I have no clue!I decided to risk this one as I am a fan of both the main leads...Phew! What a waste of money!
There are a few sensible movie makers out there and I have vowed not to go to a multiplexes until something worthwhile is being screened! I think the last one I truly enjoyed was A Wednesday, Rock On and Shaurya.

Anonymous said...

NOt only your command over language has matured but your observation of a film being watched has multiplied many folds; that combination with dollops of wisdom yields a rich review. anyday, bubble, you want to take up another career, the runway is clear!
rashme'

Anu_M said...

I would also like to add that just go and watch Ice Age 3D as a remedy to this hangover..!! :P

You'll love it instantly....and forget all about such hindi movies...

R. Ramesh said...

hi P, dropped in jus 2 say Hiii..cheers..

R. Ramesh said...

thanks 4 yr kind words P...u 2 have a gr8 time..best wishes always..:)

Rahul Anand said...

True, most of the hindi movies these days have good production values but absolutely hopeless scripts. A Wednesday and Rock on were really great.

Ida said...

I knew I would HATE the movie, even before I saw it, so I didn't. But you know what?I really loved your sarcy review, so some good did come out of it, after all:)
Btw, my Word verification question reads "UROCK"...you really do:)

P said...

@ Anuja: Very Very True. Ice Age is the only movie I believe whose successor parts have consistently lived up to the predecessors expectation. Not even Brown's Angels and Demons could do that! And to talk about Harry Potter... well I personally think the director did an extremely poor job in the 3rd and 4th movie. Along with him the editor butchered the connectivity and made a mess.... the book is such a wonder and the movies (3rd and 4th) seem clumsily put together before them!

@Rahul: Thanks for dropping by... pl. come back soon!

@IDA:Thanks a lot girl! :)
I knw wat u mean... I too went to see Billu Barber with no expectations... and so for me, it was not bad! The rest of them hated it! :P

NR said...

It was definitely a waste of money as i expected it to b a good movie. It gave close competition to Chandni Chowk To China...lol!!!

They focussed more on getting hollywood actors as the movie had nothing!!!

It was a waste of money n time.

Unknown said...

Amen!

Other reasons why I have knowingly or unknowingly distanced myself from Bollywood and general Indian television:

1. Hyped melodrama
2. Few original storylines
3. Same old masala dished out with a new recipe (Locations, actors, etc.)
4. Limited versatility of actors and actresses
5. PRITAM!! (You get the point, right?)
6. The Karan Johar and SRK Gang...

ZB said...

hey, thanks. I too havent heard greatly about the movie. I guess why do they keep making such movies.

Have you seen Bheja fry? I am watching it right now.:))

Anonymous said...

I agree that K-I is high budget, but not a memorable movie.

People should try some recent Marathi movies. They very good compared to Hindi movies. (Tingya, Shwas, Dombivali Express, Valu, Me Shivaji Raje Boltoi, etc. etc.).

P said...

hey anonymous! i wish you had left your name.. i wanted to ask you if i could find these movies online! I like marathi films if they have a decent story and was wondering if you had found any link online! :)

thanks for visiting and for recommending the movies! I will def. catch some of them!