(As a little extension of my earlier post..)
Another language which has always caught my fancy is Hinglish! A smooth blend of hindi and english that are woven into each other making their distinction harder for people well versed in both languages. Infact, I had not even noticed how rampant the use of this hybrid language was until it was pointed out to me by my uncle. My uncle-mama lived in the UK and was visiting us. One day when he as listening to the news he turned to us genuinely surprised and said,"I cant believe they are doing this on national television. Its like they have developed a new language!" And that was only when I realized that it indeed was weird.. but we were so used to it that we couldn't see it until it was pointed out to us!Infact many of today's journalists spice up their write ups by using typical "Bombaiya words" (that is Bombay hindi.. it consists of slangs which are used commonly used by all in Bombay and the readers seemed to have developed an appetite for that! So does the writer Shobha De. Recently I have stared following her blog (because Im convinced its her writing and not a pseudo writer)and I once again encountered hinglish. It does add its own flavor and is probably her writing style and certainly does convey her message much more effectively. However I cant help but think the works in one language alone, be it hindi or english have their own beauty which is pristine!
But ... having spent soo long in Bombay, I cannot help but enjoy occasional use of hinglish!

1 comment:
yup...its now the part of our life...hinglish!!!
Post a Comment