Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hello Good Looking {Wink}!

I write this post today as I pondered why popularity is such a big deal and why are looks so important... to almost everyone.... from movie stars to the common man akin! Usually I live in my own ivory tower filled with things that I adore and never seem to be bothered with people’s perspective towards clothes and make up. As I was reading an article in the newspaper and another one in De’s blog... it got me thinking and so here goes!!

Define a good looking guy... the one who is always popular and simultaneously devilish which most times makes you want to just snap his neck! This particular class of men I am commenting on today are common to Mumbai... and feature frequently in most films both Hindi and the English ones!
He does not necessarily have the “drop dead” kind of looks and nor does he have to resemble Apollo (rumored to be the ‘prettiest’ of the Greek Gods)! Actually there are certain distinct characteristics that allow even an average looking man to join the “handsome club”. It goes without saying that beauty (the kind which is skin deep) is a very personal concept which is unique to each. {So some of you may agree and smile as I list out things that make the audience swoon at these controversial men while few others may disagree and want to add their own do’s and don’ts... well for people who disagree, I would very much like to hear your version of what makes them different and so the comments link it waiting for you.}

Some of the controversial do’s and don’ts to join the popular crowd

 They don’t have to have be all muscular and brawny.... but they SHOULD not be obese. Paunches and love handles are a big no-no! Infact they can be of the lean built without being muscular but never on the other side of the weighing scale! {Example: Di Caprio in “Titanic”} Some even sport a very chiseled physique, while this is not a requirement it doesn’t harm your chances either! {Example: Brad Pitt in “Troy”}

 No specific height requirements seem to be applicable. However, shorter ones are more prone to ridicule and as long as they can convert that to their advantage they will be fine! {Example” Most comedians.... are popular for diff reasons.... yet unmistakably popular: Johnny Lever}

 There is certainly no criteria for looks.... this is a very personal concept. I may find Daniel Craig to be deviously handsome while somebody else might consider him to be ‘old’.

 What is most important of course is not the kind/type of suit he wears but the kind of attitude he carries and the aura he projects around him. This is a very common attribute as it is an acquired trait... a sure one way ticket to join the club!!
Typically, he is ‘laid back’ and is rarely perturbed by things around him. He is blissfully unaware of the number of things that can go wrong and so is enviously carefree until the bomb actually hits! An unwavering confidence in himself and an air of ‘know it all’ without being a snob with just a dash of arrogance are actually the commonly observed behavior traits! These individuals are seldom egoistic and are rather self absorbed. Narcissism is an important stimulus which seems to keep these creatures in ‘character’!!

All in all today’s metro sexual man is more concerned with his outlook and to a certain extent with his wardrobe while he swaggers around appearing almost callous!

DISCLAIMER: The reader is advised that the above content bares no significance to any person living or dead and is purely an opinionated work of observation intended only for fun!! :) :P :D

5 comments:

ajji said...

this is very nice -- looks as though i am readin bernard show years back -- the main thing about attitude and self confidence is the centre point
it would be nice if your blogs are in black on white rather than white on black --

Snigdha said...

u shud hv been a writer...
Consider writing a book on "life of an MS in US" Lets see if we can find a publisher in India...No kidding, u shud consider it.

Anu_M said...

Poo!
This one's INTERESTING!!! ;)
I totally agree when u say age doesn't matter..(I totally flip for Daniel Craig and Pierce Brosnan)

Here's some more traits, which I think might make it to your A-List:
1) EYES...deep, intense and innocent (atleast innocent-looking!)
2) A warm affable Laugh....and last but not the least,
3) A good dose of CHIVALRY! [Although this may not fit the "looks" bill, it will definitely earn brownie points for the "good-looking" ones]

P said...

@ Ajji: Bernard Shaw! I am flattered... however biased u r!! :) :)

@ Snigie: Hah...I have been intending to do so... with a large dose of humor ofcourse!

@ Anu: I agree... but I think chivalry comes in only when they r luking 2 charm u... rest of the time they prefer to b aloof and "cool"... rather they portray varying degrees of chivalry! :) :)

Anonymous said...

amazing, man! u have an hawk's eye & have observed the hunks to spell them out so well!very well put, bubble, ur penship has started to dazzle now; I suggest u start sending the write-ups to local newspapers; the Talent, is definitely there;in Oodles!