Memories get stored in our brain in mysterious ways! Often memories are stored in conjunction with certain fragrances or music! Music is more common I think because for most the sense of hearing triumphs over sense of smell!
What I find amazing is how my brain connects a memory with a song/tune I have heard in the past! And when that connection occurs I am quietly transported to that place in the past and I can remember things with surprising details.... which I ordinarily would not have considered important enough to recollect!
Eg.1: When I hear a particular song that I heard once too often in Lubbock.... I can actually see parts of Lubbock in my mind’s eye!
Eg. 2: I saw Finding Nemo again today! Had seen it before in Mumbai with some close friends at R-Mall and today when I saw it again..... I remembered not only seeing it before, but also the exact place where we saw it... and also the little art gallery at the entrance!
Sweet such flashbacks are! I wonder why our brain is stimulated like this for us to remember the past! May be it has got something to do with survival instinct!! May be some neurologist will read this post and answer my query (Yes the optimistic me is thinking some Neurosurgeon has time enough to do that)!

3 comments:
Heyy Poo...
I just loved this latest post of yours...short n sweet!
I totally agree with u on this one... more so bcoz it brought back memories of my own..Like every single time when A puts on CK Eternity men's perfume, I remember my Dad getting ready for work in the morning- with the whiff of its beautiful scent all over the place...
...and by the way, I just loved the last line of your post...but keep up your optimism, I say.. ;)
:)
me too agree...even I have fun flashbacks...and sometimes not so fun too :)
Post a Comment