
I went on a long holiday last December and visited many places.....noticed one queer thing! All major cities that I visited were either on the banks of a river/bay/some kind of water body!
New York City on the Hudson!
Chicago on River Chicago & Lake Michigan!
Oswego on the banks of River Oswego & Lake Ontario!
Baltimore on inner harbor!
Washington DC on Potomac River!
Philly on Delaware River!
A co-incidence? I am not so sure! I think it’s something to do with a pattern mankind has formed ever since he learned farming and to travel in groups! In those dark times (not sure man..... hold it why not woman??...grrrr at myself... but not sure if man/woman had discovered fire as yet...hence the reference to as dark times!) when we were still evolving.... we learned one thing pretty quickly! That water is indispensible! Hence most civilizations were built on the banks of rivers! For example:
Egypt on the Nile!
Harappa on the Indus!
Mohenjo-Daro on the Indus!
Rome along the Mediterranean sea!
Magadha along the Ganges!
Not to mention:
London on Thames!
Calcutta on Hooghly River!
Mumbai... well it’s a coastal town but has 5 major lakes and couple of rivers!
Paris on Seine!
Frankfurt on the Main!
I rest my case!
Still think it’s a co incidence? I think it’s more of a habit!!!

3 comments:
hey Poo
All civilizations started at a river...if there is no water man cannot survive...
Remember Fateh Pur Sikri? The new capital that Akbar built for himself? Grand and the best at that time? Well he moved out of it in 13years because there was no easy access to drinking water in that city.
It is not a coincidence but it is the fact of life for human beings. The closer we are to a source of potable water the safer we feel...
Which is why T.Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra are at constant loggerheads...water...oil might be important today...but in future it will be WATER!
I agree! But things have changed drastically now and Saudi is a fine example of civilization away from water source!
I believe in the earlier times, civilizations were built near water... for potable and travel purposes... hence the importance of coastal cities!
But in today's age... when we have out done ourselves in Civil Engineering... is why I think humans are slaved by habit of nestling near water sources... because I believe economics is not the only thing getting us to settle near water bodies! :)
Its trade and commerce and yes habit too.... even though habit is not the only factor!! :)
Poo...
I should say, THIS IS MY MOST FAVORITE BLOG EVER WRITTEN BY YOU..!! :))
The very existence of the most fascinating of all cities around the world is inextricably linked to the water bodies which contributed to their founding and development...and its surely not a coincidence. You are on the right track when you say that a typical pattern was developed when a 'sense of community' was evolving for mankind. Early human settlements were strategically located along all navigable water bodies since they were a vital source of transportation, irrigation, nourishment, security,
and thus, power. So eventually, these waterfront cities became the backbone of commerce, travel, as well as farming. So that's why you see great powerful cities primarily developed on the banks of rivers, lakes, bays, oceans, etc. I would also like to add sum more global cities to your list like Venice, Sydney, Cape Town
and definitely, Milwaukee... ;)
But I would disagree with your opinion of including 'habit' as a factor and replace it with 'recreation'. Who doesn't like to stroll, jog, exercise or even relax at a place on the water's edge?
..and I sure do agree with the person above stating "oil might be important today...but in future it will be WATER!"
Post a Comment