That's how it was in Mumbai for me... this cook used to do all the cutting and pruning and I would then arrive... and just throw some things in the pan and ask her to fry/cook it...once that was done to my desired level of perfection, I would then return to toss some masalas and then leave with my final directions!! My dear cook would smile and follow. She was very excited to learn new things from me and would be an ideal eager student!! She once even thanked me for teaching her how to make the basic pasta dish and operate the microwave! She was slightly intimated by anything more fancy than the stove and was very cautious when she handled the oven or the microwave. Alternately, she would play the part of teacher when I wanted to learn the basic, not so fancy everyday dishes. Very patiently she would show me how to make chapattis and even give me little tips that went a long way! For some reason she was in awe of me and that always amused me!
We also had another cook-+-maid who was very bubbly and a chatterbox. She talked incessantly and kind of
I do miss being the star of my own show... ofcourse, cooking was never a challenge thanks to these incredible women. And then ofcourse came my audience.... my mum and grandma... who instantly approved anything I made. Mum was always a GREAT sport.. she is not fussy about food and as long as she doesn’t have to cook...loves everything I made!
The chatterbox==>
Sigh!! If only there was a time machine that could take me back in time... on second thoughts.. if I would probably have to live through engineering school once again... so no thank you... I am happy being here, just reminiscing at times about my happy happy showitmes! :)

8 comments:
Nice one. Those were the days. They are the sweet frozen memories.
how ungrateful !!!!! you have not mentioned me,,, your cook of 25 years!!!!!! from milk bottle to supushri and on and on ---
Its food all the way.
I related to a couple of things here.
I am still an obstinate lady when it comes to food. I am all picky and choosy.
As a kid, I used to segregate mustard seeds away from sambhar and curry. :-)
I don't do that anymore, but my mom still talks about it.
I thought most maids were chatterboxes. I had one who was just relentless and would keep going on and on. I don't talk much and this lady's talk used to annoy me a lot.
This post did bring me a couple of nice memories. :-) Nice one
what all food talks happening??!!! :)
@SG:frozen memories.. a nice metaphor!
@Insignia: OMG! mustard seeds!
I did the same with carrots in pulao... i made mum make carrots and peas pulav and then made her separate the carrots.. she was sweet enough to do that! :P
@ ajji: i actually did add ur bit.. but thought it was out of context! but you sure are the 2nd best cook ever! (first is papa)
@Anu bhabhu: giggles... i was expecting some1 to ask me exactly this!! we sure are on the same wavelength!!
marvel at ur language,love! cannot decide who or what is dishier... is it the food u cook, the lines u write or my little one who has grown to be a lovely lady!
mum
p.s.
loved the line.... in love with the same guy...HaHaHa..
Here is the answer to my own query.
the Dishiest, obviously, is my son-in-law!
mum
@ mum: remember that cold cake u loved? it was the first thing i learnt to make! no baking, just 10 mins "making time",30 mins in freezer and it was done! :)
heyy...this 1 reminded me of my own memories of the "maushis" who used to cook for us! There's 1 still working now..a really good cook!
BTW reading about ur "out of this world" phulkas makes me want to taste them...so the next time we meet (and whenever it is) I would like to have sum...okay?
Post a Comment