I have discovered Food Network and have fallen irrevocably in love with it (S. Meyer, Twilight)!
I LOVE food and do enjoy cooking! But doing it everyday?? That’s another issue! However, this discovery has brought me immense happiness... and an epiphany!
What I find extremely fascinating is the way these chefs handle and prepare exquisite cuisines. Certain shows are about 30 min meals for the everyday cooks, while some others showcase special dinners and fancy deserts!
This show I watched was being hosted by a size zero model making date night appetizers and cocktails. For the appetizers she fried oysters with apparent ease but I still refuse to believe that she actually tasted that particular dish! (In my opinion, size 0 = 0 fried meals)
But to be fair most of the other chefs are real characters who are ‘happily’ weighted and seem to have no qualms about it!
These chefs are stars who are extremely creative with food and handle it with utter nonchalance. This complacency is usually portrayed by their peers playing the part of seasoned military men in combat or doctors in their ORs and yet these cooks never seem out of place. They stand in limelight boldly wielding their knives as they cut a succulent vegetable with unbelievable pace! I gawk at them knowing I would have ended up chopping my fingers off.
Next they pull out their shiny vessels (I cannot possibly refer to them as pots and pans) and create extravagant sauces and purees! OOooo and the best part, they NEVER have to clean! Now isn’t that something.
To boost their ratings, their kitchens are enormous and are gaily colored and brightly lit! Most of them have a central table like thing with a hanger on top that houses more of those shiny vessels!
Tell me... if you too had that palatial kitchen, lustrous pots and pans, had someone to shop and stuff your pantry, to clean up after you and do the boring stirring and frying stuff during commercial breaks.... wouldn’t you too gladly cook day after day after day??
Dream on my friends.. you have just found out what constitutes my utmost fantasy! Sigh!!

6 comments:
Nice one. I love food network. My favorites are Rachael and Giada. I am planning on a blog about Rachael during September. Please read.
I have always been an avid watcher of food shows on TV.
Nigella, Bobby Chin, Kylie Kwong, Curtis Stone...the way they dish out meals as if it were a kid's play.
Aah, you just spoke what everyone dreads about. The cleaning part. Well, they never show who cleans the mess later. But if there were someone to do it for me, I would cook all day!!
Nice read :-)
i watch many of the food episodes on th indian channels --now they are not showing the chinese cooking much -- the quickies with veggies and spring onion etc -- i fully agree about the pre and post labour strains ,,,, and ,,the comparison to the docs operation theatre -- with abundance of space and material,,,,and the helping hands invisible to the camera during the shoot --- any way the doc hands out a grand baby ,,and the cheff a grand dish on a plate or platter --
Cooking is fun, but as you say, only if the donkey work is done by others.
And eating would be fun, too, if we did not have to count the calories.
@SG: Will do.
I particularly love those desert shows. I am enamored by their icing, decorations and presentations.
@Insignia: I wholeheartedly agree!
Pl. read my next post... it will reveal some more things! :P
@ajji: That was fab comparison. Only a gyneco could compare the joy of delivering a baby to presenting an exquisite dish!!
Though words of caution: those so seeming easy chinese dishes require some hardcore preparation... juliens, finely chopped, shreaded... all those routines are extremely time consuming! :P
@Sucharitra:Giggles... you made me envision a donkey in my kitchen!!
I second the calorie declaration... much more 'painful' collateral. Especially if you are cursed with a sluggish metabolism as mine! X-(
interestn n neat...love ur diff perspective 2wrds cookin... enjyd da last para!!
Post a Comment