Sunday, March 20, 2011

A very Orange House

Work took me to this cozy coastal town of Manglore which is adorned by coconut trees and enchanting beaches. There is something more than just the sea and the undulating countryside that made me feel like I belonged to this place. I wonder if it is because of its spectacular cuisine or its warm people or the muggy climate, but the X-factor generated a captivating charm that has me hooked to this city. This is perhaps one of the greenest cities I have been to in India with quaint little homes that make a perfect picture. There has to be something magical about Mangalore’s soil and waters to explain the lush greenery. People here are unimaginably sweet and have an air of content which is missing in our Mumbaikar’s lives.

The best part of this town is its vibrant coloured homes and their attached gardens that sport wondrous flowers. It’s a treat to watch them as they line the countryside, waiting to be captured onto a post card. The sandy beaches were spotless and the waters clear. On the brink of one such beach stood an orange coloured house sporting a sandy backyard that held my unwavering attention. I marched along its perimeter and relished the soft feel of the sand as it slipped away under my weight. The landlady watched me with suspicious eyes as I clicked away, capturing that house from all possible angles.

We moved to a guest house on the second day that had trees of every kind. The next day, we managed to visit a majestic temple that could have easily housed two city blocks. After a very long day, we rushed to the shore and relished our “ice golas” as the sun set in the deep waters.

Mumbai...Your place in my heart as one of the top places to live, now has a strong contender. Watch out! J Love you Manglore J

2 comments:

Anu_M said...

nicely written!
but no comparison to Mumbai... wokkayyy?? :P

P said...

WOKKAYYY ALRITE!! :P

mumbai meri jaan right?

you know when I landed in Mumbai (from Manglore) I was like "OOO this city is huge)! :D :P ;)