Monday, March 21, 2011

Home sweet home and the chai drama.

The early morning breeze tickles my skin as I leave for work and yet feels warm after braving the cold gusts of NYC. Don’t get me wrong, I do miss the NYC skyline as it hid in the mist at dawn, glowing in neon lights and the reflected lights of Times Square... what a sight indeed! But the promise of driving to work to Radio mirchi (pending my license..Don’t ask) is such a refreshing change.

Warm friendly faces welcome me at work as they pause to share the morning quota of gossip. Then comes the longest wait ever for the chai-wala.
The slight clinging of tea cups signals his approach as he bustles by the desk and slams my cuppa tea with an acknowledging nod.. he leaves quickly embarrassed at my gracious ‘thank you’! This ‘at the desk service’ of strong tea has only fed my tea-mania which is becoming somewhat of an addiction. My otherwise healthy eating lifestyle has managed to thwart my “potato chips” cravings. (Paro I miss u!)
The delightful aroma wishes me a good morning and a second round at 3 jostles me after lunch! Unfortunately, I have gone from a cup of tea/day to 3 cups/day! And yes, I do add generous portions of sugar to it..such that no amount of crunches can undo the damage. Sigh!

At the end of the day, the familiar raucous of overflowing streets disgusts me as I wait wearily for the rickshaw to drop me back home to another cup of hot tea and “nashta” that my dearest nani lovingly makes! Home certainly is, where the heart is... and a cup of tea doesn’t hurt either!

3 comments:

Anu_M said...

Mumbai madhe sudha tuza "license" problem chalu ahe? lol :P

P said...

Seriously.... just yelled at the license guy (can do that here)!
Phew.. guess some things never change!
Whats worse I have a nagging feeling that I WILL find my license as soon as they clowns issue me a new one!
Jai Hind :)

Unknown said...

I miss you too dear and of course our chit-chat time with a cup of tea and a bag of Lays beside us....So did you finally get ur license or not???