
On Monday, Mumbai witnessed a Mass Marriage ceremony of 30 Muslim couples from all over Maharashtra! How is that for a tongue twister??
This kind of ceremony puts things into perspective. On one hand you have this communal ceremony shared by many while in stark contrast you have the super extravagant ceremonies with obscene displays of wealth.
On the wedding day, the bride and groom profess their love before the world and take an oath to stand by each other till death does them apart! This is true for couples who are brought together by cupid and by some marriage broker alike, because it symbolizes the beginning of a new life for them. These celebrations are often marked with grandeur and splendor to a degree that can be afforded by the families involved. Often this celebration is a measure of their status and naturally people tend to overdo it.
The way I see it, a wedding is a one-day party for which people spend a decade of their savings that is captured in wedding photographs and videos to be seen for not more than couple times and that too only by the bride and groom and the people closet to them!
Growing up in Mumbai, I never once questioned this practice and subconsciously accepted the norm. However, over the years I have developed a sense of disbelief about the amount of money squandered for a single occasion. For those of us who aren't born with silver spoons, I find this entire concept ostentatious and completely unnecessary! Then again its only a question of priorities! I would take the same money and invest it or go on a luxury tour and make some fabulous new memories that would also yield far better pictures and videos!
PS: I have already geared up for the contrary comments bound to be targeted at this post! So bring it on!!

3 comments:
i saw this on the times today ---
my maid mangla says this custom in their village is by default --- i agree with your idea of simple ceremonies -- but something to remember -- may not be on elaborate scale -- ultimately it is a relative term -- and regulated by the social norms of the parties concerned --- i myself would have loved this sanctification though
I agree on the ridiculously exorbitant marriages in India.Considering its just for a day, but i do feel marriages days are important events in ones life and its cherished for rest of ones life. Its more than a one day affair, its memories are carried quite strongly through out ones life.( unless you plan to marry several times).
So no harm in spending a bit extra( after all whats money if it cant give you happiness).If you think, everything in life is momentary. You would know once you are married( i gather that you arent). It makes a lot of difference in ones life.
I would say , make it a grand day, so that it brings pleasant memories for rest of ur life, cheers:)))
you are right...it is priority...G and I wanted a wedding on a budget and did not want anything grand...but I know a friend of mine who went all out to get married...
it is not how you get married but how long you stay HAPPILY married.
Post a Comment