Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superstitous ME!


The west is superstitious too and I have willingly fallen prey to this superstition!
Groundhog is a adorable creature who is famous for his ability to predict the onset of spring. Tradition dictates that on the 2nd of February, the groundhog is lured out of his home. If this furry animal sees its own shadow and scampers back in, spring is pronounced to be 6 weeks away!

Long long ago.. this custom originated in a land we now call Germany. The then Europeans depended on the Bagder's role of oracle as he predicted the onset of spring and set their farming clock accordingly. When the Germans migrated to Pennsylvania the Badger's role was taken over by Groundhogs native to the region. And the tradition has stuck ever since.

So the enthusiastic ME has become the superstitious ME as I eagerly await Spring which my furry little friend says is 6 weeks away! :)

7 comments:

Sachin said...

I was lucky to be in NY during Spring 05, and its absolutely fun. For people there its like a festival and you would see them getting out of there homes more often than ever. Be aware, the weekends during spring its hard to find rental cars! Quite a few natural places you could visit around on a weekend there. Enjoy!

Gayatri Ramamurthi said...

Thanks, that was information for me :)!!

Gayatri Ramamurthi said...

http://gayatrir.wordpress.com/

Is where I have recently started adding posts. Please drop in sometime.

R. Ramesh said...

hey buddy where the heck r u yar? and u think you can forget global madrasi that easily hehe?

SG said...

Nice informative one. I know groundhog day is celebrated with enthusiasm in Penn. every year.

ajji said...

how cute ?//////// the ground hog has a place in the busy peoples heart ---- the animals have an inbuilt system of warning - so that is not superstition ---- JUST A CYCLICAL OBSERVATION ---?/?????????// cuckoo brings in the mango flowering --- etc --- --- THE BIRD MIGRATION ETC ETC -- YOUR ENVIRONMENTAL ECOSYSTEMS ETC --- KABIR ALWAYS SINGS ABOUT THE CHATAK BIRD AND SWATI RAIN--- THE PEARL --- GOD IS REALLY GREAT !!!!!!!!! GOD BLESS YOU

Anonymous said...

You are Brilliant Poorva. I am your silent admirer very much older than you. I want you to dance in the rain once again. Enjoy the spring. Celebrate life. Those who have left you and gone to another world would want the same. I am sure. God Bless you my child.