Saturday, January 3, 2009

Grease!!!!!!!!


Grease is the word, is the word that you heard
It's got groove it's got meaning
Grease is the time, is the place is the motion
Grease is the way we are feeling

Grease Lyrics:

I saw Grease {almost a classic now} for the first time when I was in school.... and I was hooked! To the songs, to the American high school drama and to the general concept of a couple consisting of a simpleton and the college stud {which stayed with me to produce astonishing results!!!!}
Strolling down Broadway in NYC, gaping at Times Square, NASDAQ, and other dazzling monuments of today’s era... me and Aana gave into our temptation of seeing a Broadway show! Our first choice was Marry Poppins (rather my choice) but Aana was not as excited as me.... so we went ahead in search of “Shrek” down Times Square. The neon lit blocks were a wonderful sight for the eyes which made us temporarily forget our search for the musical!

That’s when we stumbled on the enormous “Tickets” kiosk selling discounted tickets to all Broadway shows... yeay! All excited we join the seemingly never ending line but ended up at the counter in less than 30 minutes. I utilized all the 30 minutes to convince Aana to see Grease with me and the darling she is... agree she did! So bobbing up and down with excitement I drift all the way to the theater. The interiors itself were amazing..... made me feel like I had come to an opera! A British couple seated next to us offered to be our photographers for the evening and we had a fun filled photo session! Shortly afterward the curtains parted and the guy playing “Bruce S” glided on to the stage. He entertained the crowd with some rock and roll numbers.... for what I suspect to cover up till the stars got ready for the show! Looking at that guy make me realize that Broadway and all other theater stars adore their work and crave for limelight and admiration. They thrive on it and bloom when the spotlight is on them.... I was amazed at how (this was my first theater show ever as an adult) much these people enjoy themselves! If it were me... I would probably shrink and shy away and hence cannot help gape at their ability to entertain such large crowds and hold their attention for two whole hours! Once I got over this initial awe.... I found the songs to be so-so as I hadn’t heard them before and they weren't particularly foot taping kinds.
Once he glided back out on his “record box” the show opened to the song “Grease is the word” introducing all the supporting characters of the show.... and was amazing! I watched alternating between awe and swooning to the music!
The stage itself was not very big and I kept wondering how they were going to perform on such a small area. The cast expertly utilized it questioning the golden yet controversial saying “Size does matter”!! Once the play began it looked as though the show had been built such that it was just enough for them to perform, not a single step more or less!
The singing, the dancing the acting.... it was all flawless and effortlessly done. The actors were purrfect for the part and knew how much of performance was required where.... not once was anything overdone! The show was choreographed such that it was the best part of the show.... all the actors (the supporting ones) were allowed to have a song on their own so that none of them looked to be secondary!! The only let down was the prom dance sequence, the one in the movie is spectacular but the same in the show is much shorter and clumsily done.

{Movie dance sequence: }

The director seemed to be in hurry to finish the show and shopped off many of the scenes of the movie..... he was fine till the interval but after it, he seemed to be in a bit of a hurry to finish it off! Apart from that tiny part, the show was a thorough entertainer worth every bit of money I spent to watch it.... right from the start “Grease is the word” to the curtain call!

{Curtain Call sequence from broadway:

I loved the way they bowed and accepted the crowd’s cheers.... especially the way they introduced the band playing at the top of the stage!
I have just one thing to say.... if you liked the movie you should, must, better see this Broadway show!!!!!

No comments: